Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Issue 52 Mslexia

I've got a story in issue 52 of Mslexia. It's the story that won the Edge Hill MA Prize, but as publication wasn't part of that prize, it remained unpublished.

Kate Figes, who selected the poetry and prose for issue 52 writes:
‘Just in case’ is a chilling and heartbreaking tale about the disabling consequences of losing a baby because of ‘complications’ soon after birth. Emma works in a luggage shop and is obsessed with bags, a wonderful metaphor for pregnancy. When her next-door neighbour asks her to hold the baby for an hour because her father has been rushed to hospital, we feel the palpable emptiness in Emma’s life as she takes the baby into her arms.
'Just in Case' was one of the first stories that I wrote on my MA and it's lovely to finally see it in print. All but one of my MA stories have now been published and the remaining story is currently being considered somewhere, so fingers crossed.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Nik, and congrats on your four stories in The Moth - hurrah for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carys - just wanted to say I really enjoyed your story, even though my heart was in my mouth for about two thirds of it! Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teresa :)

    I knew I recognised your name from somewhere, and then I remembered that you wrote this story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/22/teresa-stenson-short-story
    which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete