Pages

Wednesday 19 November 2014

Costa Shortlist


Well, this is very exciting! A Song for Issy Bradley has been shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award. I'm so delighted, and surprised - I can't believe my book gets to cosy up to books by the incredible writers above, particularly Ali Smith whose writing makes my heart sing. Hooray! 


It's so exciting to see the cover with the addition of a Costa Book Awards sticker. 

At the moment the hardback is only £4.99 on Amazon. And there are other great deals, too. Like the offer in The Book People catalogue that includes all four of the Costa shortlisted first novels for £15.99. 


It's such a good offer that I decided to avail myself of it (I'm not sure whether that makes me a masochist, but I've heard such good things about the other novels that it seems silly not to enjoy them). I was about to go ahead when Neil walked in the room and rather cagily advised me not to (it's my birthday soon and I reckon I know what he's bought me!). 

I've been getting The Book People catalogue since my children were small which means it was especially lovely to see A Song for Issy Bradley on the front cover.


I also recently heard that Radio Four Extra will be broadcasting five of my short stories over the course of a week during January 2015. The stories were recorded a couple of weeks ago - I can't wait to hear them. I'm especially interested to hear what they've done with a story called 'Everything a Parent Needs to Know' which I've never read aloud because it is interspersed with advice from (fake) parenting books.

Best of all is the news that son 2's thoracic surgery in October was a success and he is now back at school. I'll be donating my fee from Radio 4 Extra to the Ronald McDonald House at Alder Hey where I was able to stay for several nights while he recovered. 

*shuffles back to the desk to grapple with the "difficult" second novel*  

No comments:

Post a Comment