Pages

Friday 27 September 2013

Fantabulous Stuff

I have been BURSTING to say something for almost a month...

On Weds 28th August my novel went out on submission. I expected to hear whether there had been any interest in it by mid October, but forty eight hours later I received a call from my agent: 'You'd better sit down, Carys,' she said. And then she told me that a publisher had made a pre-emptive bid for my book.

A second phone call followed - sit down, again. Another publisher had matched the first offer.

It was still the summer holidays and the children were at home. When they realised what was happening they went wild, dashing around the house, hugging each other and spending imaginary money on extraordinary Lego sets (it's a Lego cinema - how could anyone resist?).

As it was a Friday, things stopped there for the weekend, with two publishers bidding for the book. Sons 2 and 3 made a special celebration cake for tea (by themselves - clearly emboldened by our recent Come Dine With Me experience). It was lovely.


Slightly shell-shocked.

The following Monday morning, I popped to London to meet some publishers. It was utterly overwhelming and wonderful. The visit kicked off an auction involving four amazing publishers - I would have been ecstatic to be published by any of them.


While I was in London I was duty-bound to buy the correct doughnuts for everyone.


HutchinsonAt the end of an almost sleepless week, the auction finished with two of the publishers making very similar final bids. I decided to go with Hutchinson, part of Random House.

Hutchinson publish some fabulous authors.

This is how I feel inside:


firework gif   
        YIPEE!
        YIPEE!
        YIPEE!
        YIPEE!



When the auction ended I took the children to Frankie and Bennys to celebrate. They made the most of the excitement and ordered starters, fizzy drinks and anything/everything else they fancied.

A day or two later, a big bunch of flowers arrived from Hutchinson. They're still on my dining room table; the lilies have opened like stars and every time I look at them I feel like dancing.


Here is a link to today's announcement of the deal in The Bookseller.

13 comments:

  1. You deserve every moment of success. I can't wait to read the book. Congratulations. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, not going to tell Gabe about the Lego cinema ;-) He's excited enough that he's getting a new bike with my advance! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely super. Having read your short stories your writing ability is without question, so pleased to hear that it's recognised and know how much it must mean to you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies - I still can't quite believe it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news, Carys. After enjoying your fabulous short story collection so much, I am so looking forward to your novel. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow!!! That's such great news Carys :-) So pleased for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful Carys!!!! Very happy for you and those Lego-laden lads!
    Ciao cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've said it elsewhere, but this is brilliant news. So pleased for you. As a big fan of your short fiction, I can't wait to read the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not even a bit surprised! The entire time I read Sweet Home I was like whoa... whoa... whoa! under my breath. I can't wait to read your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone - you're all lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to echo all the congratulations, they're totally deserved. As someone who thought your short stories had a more compelling writerly charm than Brautigan's 'So the Wind Won't Blow it All Away', I can't wait to read your next work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many congratulations. I think you're my new hero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Carys just read the article about the bookdeal its totally awesome. Have been hoping to see you to give you a proper congratulations hug you so deserve it, your short stories were fabulous and I am so excited to read your book can't wait !! Xx

    ReplyDelete